Wednesday, March 5, 2008

New travel documents required for Re-Entering the US become effective on January 31, 2008

Beginning January 31, 2008, all United States and Canadian citizens 19 years and older will be required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization, and proof of identity, like a driver's license , at the entry to the United States through land and sea ports. Children aged 18 and under are only required to submit proof of citizenship. If you are currently using a passport or Trusted Traveler, these documents will be accepted for cross-border travel.

This effort is part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), which was promulgated in the Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 by Congress to enhance security and increase the facilitation of border crossing for citizens and travelers. The new requirements call already exempt for travellers, including citizens of the United States, Canada and Bermuda to provide the same documentation already required for all other travellers entering the United States once it is placed implemented, oral statements of citizenship will no longer be accepted.

Do not forget that the current processing time of a passport is four to six weeks. It is recommended that you wondering now if you are planning an upcoming trip. To learn more about the new document, read the US Customs and Border Protection fact sheet or visit their web site

0 komentar: